DarwinDarwin pa Wed, 13/06/2018 - 17:10
Darwin City Deal
The Darwin City Deal is a ten year plan to position Darwin as a vibrant and liveable tropical capital city, supported by a growing population and diverse economy. The Australian and Northern Territory Governments, together with the City of Darwin, are partnering to support catalyst projects to revitalise Darwin’s city centre, as well as the planning and collaboration needed to support Darwin’s future growth. This will help to unlock investment in Darwin, grow its population, boost the visitor economy and support greater business activity.
The Darwin City Deal will deliver:
- A new education and civic precinct, including a new Charles Darwin University city campus, to transform the city centre, attracting more international students to Darwin, boosting retail activity and bringing vibrancy to the CBD.
- A redeveloped and greener State Square to cool the city, making it more liveable and increasing space for outdoor events and festivals, ensuring Darwin is a vibrant tropical capital.
- Innovations to cool and green the city, along with promoting climate-appropriate design, to help change the face of Darwin, transforming it into a best-practice example of tropical urban living.
- Support for the Larrakia people as the traditional owners of Darwin.
- Unlocking the potential of dormant sites in Darwin, such as the Stokes Hill 'Tank Farm’, to better activate the harbour foreshore.
All three levels of government will jointly prepare an Implementation Plan by mid-2019, which will set out key milestones for projects, timeframes and who will be responsible.
More information about City Deals and how they are developed is available here.
The Darwin City Deal is available here.