Develop Townsville’s global reputation as a world-class destination for education, edu-tourism, training and research. Work with Townsville Enterprise Limited and local education, training and research and tourism stakeholders.
Led by the Queensland Government in collaboration with Townsville City Council, Townsville Enterprise Limited and education, training, research and tourism stakeholders.
Progress to date
The Queensland International Education and Training (QIET) Advisory Group met in Townsville on 22 February 2018.
Completed projects funded under the QIET Partnership Fund have so far included:
- Project 1: Destination of excellence and best practice for edu-tourism. This consortium of education and tourism providers finalised a suite of marketing material including a promotional video. Two trade missions to Singapore were undertaken and in September 2018 the project delivered its first study tour program, hosting a Singaporean school group in Townsville.
- Project 2: Study Townsville International Education Growth Strategy has been completed. The consortium also delivered a focused China Market Activation Plan in June 2018.
- Project 3: The St Patricks Aquaculture Project completed the development of new marketing material and a digital campaign targeting the high school student market in Papua New Guinea.
The QIET Partnership Fund 2018/19 Round 1 was finalised on 1 November 2018 and included successful funding for three new Townsville based projects:
- Project 4: Study Townsville China Market Activation Plan – this project will deliver the first year of the China market action plan to increase the number of Chinese students studying in Townsville.
- Project 5: The Expanding markets in Australia's capital for transformational learning project, to be managed by the edu-tourism consortium, will seek to attract new study tour groups to North Queensland through targeted marketing activity to US Alumni networks and US Zoo & Aquarium membership travel programs.
- Project 6: The Study Townsville Regional Brand Activation project will activate the new Study Queensland brand and positioning framework in partnership with the Townsville region through a suite of materials that identify the unique attributes of the region for international students.
Study Queensland will work in partnership with Study Townsville and the Townsville Edu-tourism Consortium to deliver the newly funded projects highlighted above.
From January 2019, Study Townsville will appoint a project officer to deliver the China activation strategy. This project officer will be housed in the newly opened Townsville City Council Future Cities Office.
A joint Study Townsville/Study Queensland brand workshop will be held in Townsville in March 2019.
Q1 2019: 2018/19 Round Two of funding for the QIET Partnership Fund.
Q3 2019: 2019/20 Round One of funding for the QIET Partnership Fund.